Christmas time is here! It’s the most wonderful time of the year and we need all the help we can get to spread a little Christmas cheer. Fight the year-end blues by joining us on 23 December (also a National Holiday) from 13:00 – 17:00 for a wonderful Christmas volunteer opportunity.
This year, MAJET is teaming up with Rika (Kiyotake International Association) and Sascha (former CIR) to join the Christmas Market at Ichibangai (map) in Miyazaki City. This is a typical Christmas Market and so there will be plenty of other stalls too. In order to have a successful stall, we need your help! We’re looking for people to dress up as Santa/Santarina and take some snaps with kids or make their day by giving them candy. We also need workshop assistants and carolers/ performers.
If any of these tickle your fancy then sign up today!
Ways to help:
What would Christmas be without a Santa? Dress up as Santa or Santarina and give candy to the kids or pose for some pics. It is a street market so you are welcome to walk around and spread the Christmas joy to all at the market.
- Pairs are preferred (one Santa, one Santarina), but if there is only one Santa for each time slot, it’s not a problem.
- Santa / Santarina costumes available upon request, or you can bring your own (please let us know if you will need one or not)
- Shifts from 13:00 – 15:00, 15:00 – 17:00 (one pair at a time, so each Santa/Santarina is active for about 2 hours)
Prepare to get messy and help Tam teach the kids how to decorate Christmas sugar cookies. Since it takes time to decorate and dry there may be a long queue so, to avoid making the little ones sad because they have to wait, we also need assistants to help with Christmas tree origami (we will send the link so you can practice beforehand).
- Prefer 4 or 5 assistants per shift
- Red MAJET volunteer shirts and Santa hats are available, or you can bring your own Christmas costume.
- You are welcome to sign up for both slots or just one.
- Shifts from 13:00 – 15:00, 15:00 – 17:00
We know that many of you will not be able to join us at the Christmas Market, so we have another opportunity for you to get involved! We need people to help bake Christmas cookies that we will use to decorate at the market. We plan to make the cookies the week before.
- We’ll send you the recipe.
- Use Christmassy/wintery shapes – trees, snowman, stars, etc.
- You will be reimbursed for the cost. We are aiming for approximately 12 dozen.
Walk around the market and enjoy singing carols to the locals and maybe even encourage them to join in if they know the songs. Towards the end of the event, at about 16:30, we’ll take to the stage and sing in a big group.
- 4 or 5 carolers per shift ( You can perform more than once)
- Solo/duet performances are also welcome! Take to the stage at any time during the market and share your musical talents.
- A big group is welcome on stage at 16:30. Find Tam at the workshop stand for a quick practice beforehand at 16:00.
- Shifts: 13:00 – 13:45, 14:00 – 14:45, 15:00 – 15:45, 16:00 – 16:30
- Group caroling 16:30 – 17:00
JET volunteers may be awarded daikyuu, depending on their schools. This is not a guarantee, however.
To volunteer, you must fill out a Google RSVP form by Friday, 16 December. We need many volunteers, so please invite your friends and encourage them to fill out a form too!